Sunday 27 May 2007

History......

I've started this blog twice now, but forgot my user name and password twice (and couldn't retrieve them)!! So I'm going to have to recap the last 18 months in a few posts, and then pick up from there. This blog will primarily be about racing my MGB, and other internal combustion related stories, but I may also through a few family related items in to!
First some History.........
There's no getting round the fact that I am a petrol head, in certain company this is great and makes one a very cool and popular person, however with a large majority of people they just think your a bit sad! I have my father, and his parents, to blame really. As a boy my dad went to loads of motorsports events (they used to take their own scaffolding to build and mini grandstand to watch from), and of course he introduced me to motorsport. We've always lived quite close to Silverstone so I attended everything from Grandprix's to formula ford, worldsports cars, historic festivals and so on. Fortunately I got to attend GPs before it all became a commercial farce, as a result I've been able to wonder freely into pit garages (not just the pit lane), sit in GP cars speak to several GP drivers and even bump into Ayrton Senna who was wondering across the back of the paddocks after Saturday practice.....Dad even managed to get his foot run over by Alain Prost's Ferrari!!

Unfortunately Dumb & Dumber, and FIA (Ecclestone and Mosely) turned F1 into a joke, killed off Worldsports Cars because it became more interesting than F1 and ruined LeMans.......which kind off turned me off modern motorsport.

In the mid 90's the Coys Historic Festival at Silverstone really grew in size and excitement, and it was possible to wonder among priceless racing cars without being shooed away! I remember one time wondering past some trucks, well away from any crowds, and finding Nigel Corner's V12 Ferrari Dino parked on the grass, and I had it all to myself!! And an undying passion for historic racing was fuelled.

Ok this is rambling a bit...... being a petrol head one tends to drive a bit quick, and off course you think you know a bit about driving too!! The desire to compete has always been there, and I'd always wanted to get involved in classic or historic formula ford, not having the funds for racing single seaters I decided to put one of my road cars on the track.....but which one?



No comments: